Today, I have a black and white cookies recipe for you. Black & white cookies were a favorite of my childhood, especially since they tended to be supersized from the local bakery. These half black half white cookies were so perfect. I could have chocolate and vanilla icing on one cookie! Why choose when you can have both?
Best black and white cookie recipe
I’ve updated the recipe so it has fewer steps that you can prepare in one bowl. With the dome dough maker tool it’s easy and efficient and time saving to mix the cookies in just the one bowl. This recipe is for the classic homemade black and white cookies, but I offer a little twist too and show how to decorate them as man in the moon cookies for a little more magic and mystery. The black and white cookie frosting or icing is simply melted chocolate for the black half and a coconut oil and sugar icing for the white side.
Watch the Video demonstration of the recipe.
Black and White Cookies
- a cookie sheet for baking
- 7 oz sugar 1 cup
- .3 oz salt 1 tsp
- .1 oz baking powder 1 tsp
- 6 oz butter ¾ cup softened
- 2 eggs
- .1 oz vanilla 1 tsp
- 13.2 oz all purpose flour 2½ cups
- 3 oz powdered sugar ¾ cup
- .15 oz coconut oil 1 tsp
- .2 to .3 oz milk 1 to 1½ tsp
- .1 oz vanilla ¼ tsp
- 4 oz chocolate semi sweet bar or chips
- Stir the sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar mixture.
- Push the creamed mixture to one side of the bowl. Break two eggs into the cleared space in the bowl.
- Beat the eggs well. Blend them into the creamed mixture. Add the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour until well blended.
- Scrape the dough out of the bowl. Gather it together and flatten it somewhat for rolling out later. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, prepare the white icing.
- Blend the coconut oil into the powdered sugar. (Butter can be substituted but will give the icing a yellow tinge.)
- Add the vanilla and small amounts of milk until the mixture is thick and spreadable. Put aside while you roll out and bake the cookies.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Cut it in half to roll out. Return the other half to the refrigerator to keep it cold.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter or drinking glass. Continue until all the dough is cut. Preheat the oven to 400° F
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6 to 8 minutes.
- When the cookies have cooled, spread white icing on one half of the cookie face.
- Melt the chocolate in a pan on low heat or in a microwave.
- Spread chocolate icing on the other half of each cookie.
If you want to make the man in the moon version, the next post will show how to transfer drawings and designs onto cookies for unique decorative touches.
Watch my Video demonstration of this recipe.
Subscribe to this Domestic Bliss blog for more delicious recipes and videos
Learn more about the Dome Dough Maker