A delicious and easy veggie burger recipe with a crumbly texture. These homemade veggie burgers make for a quick, high protein meal that’s low in carbohydrates and high in flavor. Garbanzo bean burgers can be made from either canned or home cooked beans. Fragrant chopped vegetables and herbs in this veggie patty recipe in combination with some tasty sauces punch up the flavor of the chickpeas.
Assemble Them By Hand
Crushing the beans by hand, rather than using a food processor to mush all the ingredients together, creates a better, more crumbly texture. Try mashing the beans with the dome, adding the other ingredients, and then kneading the mixture for half a minute or so to help them stick together.
These chickpea patties can be vegan too, simply by leaving out the egg. They will hold together well enough to bake and fry without any egg — though it helps to knead the mixture with the dome to stretch the proteins and help them adhere better. This recipe makes four large veggie burgers.
Best Veggie Burger Recipe
- 1/4 cup minced onion 1 oz
- 1/2 cup minced bell peppers 2 oz
- 1/4 cup minced mushrooms .5 oz
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbs vegetable oil .8 oz
- 1 tsp ketchup a squirt
- 1 tsp mustard a squirt
- 1 tsp soy sauce a squirt
- 1/4 cup cooked rice or barley (or 1/8 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 blended egg (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the vegetables finely. Choose very flavorful ones such as those named above, carrots can also be considered, but the total volume of vegetables should be about half the volume of beans.
- Cook the vegetables in one tbs of oil on a low flame to slowly wilt and soften the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, boil the rice or barley in water. And also crush the beans.
- Add the cooked vegetables and the barley (or rice) to the bowl of mashed beans.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, salt and pepper, and blended egg. 0r leave out the egg if you prefer a vegan version. If going vegan, though, be sure to do the kneading step below.
- Knead the mixture with the dome to stretch the proteins and make the mixture hold together better.
- Form into burgers.
- Bake them on an oiled baking sheet or fry in a pan lightly coated with oil.
Subscribe to the Domestic Bliss blog for more delicious recipes and videos
Learn more about the Dome Dough Maker https://www.starparkhomewares.com/dome/